Saturday, January 21, 2023

Rabbits for Chinese New Year

I tend to find myself getting so wrapped up in the big holidays - Halloween, Christmas, Valentines and even Easter to some extent, but there are so many amazing holidays in different cultures, countries and religions that I know little to nothing about... I figure that this year I'd like to take a moment to look at some of these special holidays and learn more about them. I will say now that I don't want to cause offence to anyone, and if I make mistakes PLEASE by all means feel free to come and talk to me about them - no need to be mean, remember I'd LOVE to learn. 
So for this first holiday, as it's the start of a new series of blog posts for me, I'm going to start with this weekend's holiday... Chinese New Year... 

Chinese New Year marks the start of the new Lunar Cycle, and the start of the 24 lunar cycles - and although it's often celebrated along with the more traditional Western New Year that we all celebrate on December 31st/January 1st cross over, the celebration is held on the arrival of a New Moon usually between January 21st and February 20th... Chinese New Year is one of the most important events in the Chinese Calendar, but it's influence has spread to many other neighbouring cultures too... The events are traditionally a celebration of honouring deities and ancestors, and there are many different customs involved including the lighting of firecrackers, or the giving of monetary gifts in red envelopes to promote good fortune, wealth and happiness... 
Alongside this, there is folklore dating back over 2500 years which links the Lunar Calendar with various animals, and it is said that people who are born on these year have traits that are representative of these animals. I was born in 1986 which is the year of the Tiger - and apparently it's a Fire Year too, so I am a Fire Tiger - but this year, we are entering into the year of the Rabbit!!
I hope my little creative attempt at enjoying Chinese New Year is right, I'm surrounded by bunnies, beautiful lights to light up the night and even being showered in some of those lucky money pouches... Maybe this will bring me some good luck... 

What is she wearing;
Ears: STOIC - RABBIT EARS
Hair: [monso] - Layka Hair in Black & Red
Skin: amara beauty - Freya in Ivory
Glasses: Boutique #187 - Hentai Glasses (Available in February 11th at DollHolic)
Dress: Pixicat - Miya Dress in Yellow
Lantern: kotte - Yuan Xiao Lotus Lantern
Basket: kotte - CNY Basket (Past Group Gift)
Pose: FOXCITY - Secure The Bag, Pose 5
Bunnies: Foxwood - Little Rabbit
Cards: kotte - Xin Nian Envelope Confetti
Trees: kotte - Xin Nian Mandarin Tree
Bushes: dust bunny - Garden Creatures in Rabbit
Arch & Lanterns: kotte - Yuan Xiao Lantern Display RARE
Backdrop: Paparazzi - BACKDROP - Festive Fun in RED

No comments:

Post a Comment