Saturday, November 17, 2012

Flying Saucers, Charity and a bit of a Rant!

First off this will possibly be the first and last time that you will ever see me flying around in a UFO style space craft - those of you that know me well will know why and you can ask if you are at all intrigued, but I couldn't help it... This spacecraft was so cute and it called for Captain Rudh to 'come fly me!' 
I noticed it on the Virtual Vagabond blog, and decided that I would love to have one to whizz around the garden in - not that I don't have a lot of choice when it comes to vehicles as Hell makes them, but ya know theses urges cannot be denied. The flip side of this though, is that 75% of the proceeds of sales of these vehicles by Skulprit at the Unhinged Event - that will only set you back 50L to begin with - are going to help raise money for SL Creator Eku Zhong, who needs some serious surgery done (check out the details on the Unhinged Event Blog!)
I know that in recent years some "charity" events have caused much discussion among the SL designers, consumers and bloggers circuits - especially at the moment where so many seem to be popping up - and although some of these events have warranted a great deal of caution, I as a consumer feel that I have little to complain about. I totally understand the caution of designers taking part, if the event turns out to be a scam and people are just trying to use the "charity" term to make a quick profit for themselves that the designers will in fact lose out. 
I feel, as a consumer, that although I am saddened to hear a designer I love has been ripped off, I cannot complain to loudly. Sure I went to the event, and I spent money on an item that was supposedly going to fund a charitable cause, but at the end of the day didn't I just buy the item because I loved it? Haven't I still got the item that I can play with? Sama mentions about it being no different from buying an item from anywhere in SL, and I totally agree with her on that score - though I do feel for designers who have lost out. 
Being scammed in SL sucks, I had it happen to me today outside Wasabi Pills - though for the record it was NOTHING to do with the store - I just happened to meet a noob who claimed to have come back into SL after a meeting with her SL bf in RL went bad and forced her to leave. She complimented me along the lines of "your avatar is really good though truly, one of the best ones I have seen since I have been back, you should be proud of it" - after about an hour of chatting, before asking to borrow 50L - which being overly nice or overly naive, I cannot work out which - I gave to her, and she promptly stopped talking. I have reported her to LL - not that it will do any good - but yea that's some good karma for me no matter which way things go... I just need to remember that although you meet some interesting people in SL, not all of them are out to become your friends, I'm far too naive for my own good sometimes, I always want to see the best in people and I always find it hard when I am proved that there is nothing good in someone... 
Still, I guess, knowing the kind of person that I am, I will always try to see the good in people - whether it be people running charity events, or a noob seeking friends - doesn't everyone deserve the benefit of the doubt?

What is she wearing; 
Hair: Wasabi Pills - Kumi 
Skin: Ploom - Maia in Smoke Honey 
Glasses: Epic - Mesh Checkered Nerd Glasses 
Piercing: Cute Poison - Beauty Destroyed 
Necklace: Cute Poison - Bitch Necklace 
Spacecraft: Skulprit - Hovercar in Union Jack (Available from the Unhinged Event)

2 comments:

  1. Rudh in spaaaaaaaaace! Very cute and I am sure you will only encounter CBeebies style aliens in it.

    I am sure most charity events in SL are genuine, it just takes one scammer to blight everyone's reputation.

    I just thought of another bright side to your personal scam - ok you paid her L$50 which is 23 cents (yes that's why I wanted to know the conversion rate ;) - so she spent an HOUR ass licking for 23 cents - how desperate is that?! Even beggars on the street do better than that. I'd laugh at her and move on, lesson learned. Though I know you can't really compare RL and SL prices - L$50 is 2 goes on a gatcha!!! Or nearly the price of your spaceship.

    ReplyDelete