Saturday, November 5, 2011

Remember, Remember

Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot...
November 5th is a traditional event in the history of the England. On the 5th November 1605, Guy Fawkes was found guilty, along with a number of his conspirators, of trying to blow up the houses of Parliament in London. For his crime he was given what could have been one of the worst forms of execution, Hang, Drawing and Quartering (basically the guilty party was hanged almost to the point of death, emasculated, beheaded, disemboweled and then cut into four pieces). In the years after this it was customary for the King and Parliament to commission a sermon about remembrance, hence remember, remember. 
In England, this is still remembered (though not sure if everyone knows WHY) with fireworks, bonfires and the burning of Guy dolls that children make out of old newspapers and clothes. 
Rudh is watching a display of fireworks, in the way that I do in RL, if I am forced to go see them (I don't really like fireworks, I blame my parents, LONG STORY!) Though I love a pretty sparkler, so I hope I can get some this year... IN FACT I KNOW I HAVE SOME IN A DRAWER!!!! YAY! I plan on celebrating it with a dinner that makes you feel all snugly and warm, and then some pretty sparklers (only wish I had my family around too!  - sorry been feeling kinda homesick!)   

1 comment:

  1. I like a pretty sparkler to! And I can do without the fireworks, but spent my teen years hearing them, I lived nearby Disneyland =)

    I had no idea this was a tradition in England, How interesting! Thank you for sharing. xoxo

    ReplyDelete