Friday, March 18, 2011

Pacific Fundraiser

Like all of these big charity events I am sure that this one will be blogged EVERYWHERE, but it has to be said... I think that the Pacific Fundraiser event is brilliant... 
I spent a good few hours there yesterday, wandering up and down the aisles (or should that be something more like wading through treacle up and down the aisles due to the amount of lag) and I have to say that I was impressed... Normally with a huge fair type event, if it is too laggy then I get frustrated and have to leave to come back later, but this one had me hooked at the moment I landed for two very good reasons. ONE, it was for a charity that is so deserving right now, I have at times found myself in tears watching the News on TV or reading articles online (one Hell found that shows a before and after photo on the ABC News website). TWO, the small space was packed full of so many fantastic designers, donating their wares to raise money. I personally, left with a collection of items, pretty outfits, hair and other stuff, but instead of skipping home like an overly excited kid at Christmas I found that once I had pulled myself away from the event I sat contemplating just how lucky I am, wishing I could do more to help the Japanese, and sending thoughts to those who were affected by the quake and its aftermath.
Reading the information notecard that designers have been handing out, for the Pakistan Flood Relief Flood in September, Secondlifers raised an impressive 11,000$ in US currency due to similar events across the grid, and looking at donation boxes at the Pacific event it looks like Secondlifers are gonna raise a figure like that again this time around... For anyone that ever said SL is JUST A GAME, I think this is a pretty good indication that it is definately more than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment