Where do I begin with this post? Hmmm, let me start by saying that when I recently posted a lesson on how to ride a bike for Strawberry Singh's Meme challenge I did it purely and simply as a bit of a joke. I didn't think there was anything that I could teach someone which they would want to know, or not know already, but I did brush over the mention of other people trying to give you lessons on how to organise your inventory.
I wasn't going to go anywhere near those type lessons, but then I had a comment from a lovely lady - Miss Rayne Boleyn - who asked for my help. How can anyone ignore the request for help from a damsel in distress? It's gotten many a fairytale prince into a variety of different troubles, but yet people still help strangers in distress, and that Miss Rayne is what I am going to try to do for you!
So thinking about it, I don't really want to try to give a proper lesson as it were... There are some great lessons out there from the likes of Harlow Heslop - amongst others - but instead I would just compile a few tips and tricks so to speak.
When it comes to organising your inventory I would have to say that it is a truly personal thing - I've seen the ways in which other people do their inventory and thought HUH?! However, no matter how you decide to organise your inventory, it will take time so I suggest you make a lovely cuppa tea and a biccie (a biscuit for any non-English people wondering if I have fallen off my rocker)...
So my tips would be as follows;
* It will ALWAYS help to have a second inventory window open - this whilst sorting your inventory proved to be a gift for me, it means you can move things around in your inventory without having to scroll up and down through the list of stuff you have stashed in there.
* I have folders within folders within folders. Take for example any of my folders - my underwear folder for instance - I have sub folders (i.e panties, socks, sets etc) and then each of these is further divided by style, and then by colour and there is also a separate folder for specific designer sets, meaning I can find things either by designer or style and in many cases colour too - this helps me a LOT!
* Some people make use of the outfit folder - for me personally I don't bother, most outfits I make are worn once for a few days and then buried deep in my wardrobe - but if you like to wear outfits and re-wear them later then this may be a useful tool for you!
* Don't be afraid to box things up - even if you cannot bring yourself to throw things away, putting things in boxes is a really easy way of "losing" items. For example, I used to work as a club hostess, I therefore had a HUGE amount of hosting type gestures that I used on a daily basis, when I quit working for the clubs I didn't want to throw away my hosting gestures as there may be a chance I go back to that one day so I boxed them up and labelled them well.
* I get anal about cleaning up things like LMs and Notecards - whenever I buy something I will always check to make sure I have the LM already stored away properly and then throw away any new LMs, unless of course I know that the place has moved.
I know it's not a comprehensive list- or a how to - but I hope that this has given some insight into the ways in which I would get into the right mindset for inventory sorting. It's a lengthy process, it will mean you need to empty your trash can I'm sure, and you will probably find some hidden gems too... You never know...
Just for people who are curious too I know I went a little overboard on editing of the first photo, so I include the unedited version too so that you can see what the props are in all their natural glory hehe...
What is she wearing;
Hair: Truth - Gattina in Blacks&Whites 01 Fades
Skin: Sugar - Ink in Tone 3 Dark Brows
Eyes: IKON - Horizon Eyes in Dark Verdigris
Nails: SLink - Enhancement Fingernails for Default Hands, WORN WITH, KOSH - Glitter Nails
Sweater: CandyDoll - Delisha in Black
Socks: Anymore - Skeleton Socks in Black
Boots: J's - Studded Long Boots in Black
Pose Prop: Curio Obscura - Friendly Tentacle
Record Shelf: La Petite Fleur - Recordshelf (In-store Freebie!)
Bag: SaT (Bag containing a purchase)
Pig: D-LAB - 3Pigs in Pii
Glasses: ellemeno - Dirty Glasses
Ice Cream: Nomiki's Creations - Mint Choco-Chip Bunny Cone
Bike: Hogs and Cart Wheels - ReBoned (Soon to be released!)
Toucan Necklace: LaGyo - Tucano Necklace (Available now at The Dressing Room Fusion)
Boot: Death Row Designs - Lazy Boots in Poison
Doll: Digital DeZines - Zombiefest Voodoo Doll
Shoe: SAKIDE - Hebi Pumps in Teal
Eyes Necklace: MiWardrobe - I Watch You Necklace
Tattoo Box: Half Deer - Suck Me Tattoos
Troll Doll: Rawr Muffinz - Troll Doll in Green
Balloon: Schadenfreude - Spiderflake Eyeball Balloon (tied)