Friday, May 31, 2013

The Terrors of an Unorganised Inventory!!!

Where do I begin with this post? Hmmm, let me start by saying that when I recently posted a lesson on how to ride a bike for Strawberry Singh's Meme challenge I did it purely and simply as a bit of a joke. I didn't think there was anything that I could teach someone which they would want to know, or not know already, but I did brush over the mention of other people trying to give you lessons on how to organise your inventory.
I wasn't going to go anywhere near those type lessons, but then I had a comment from a lovely lady - Miss Rayne Boleyn - who asked for my help. How can anyone ignore the request for help from a damsel in distress? It's gotten many a fairytale prince into a variety of different troubles, but yet people still help strangers in distress, and that Miss Rayne is what I am going to try to do for you!
So thinking about it, I don't really want to try to give a proper lesson as it were... There are some great lessons out there from the likes of  Harlow Heslop - amongst others - but instead I would just compile a few tips and tricks so to speak.
When it comes to organising your inventory I would have to say that it is a truly personal thing - I've seen the ways in which other people do their inventory and thought HUH?! However, no matter how you decide to organise your inventory, it will take time so I suggest you make a lovely cuppa tea and a biccie (a biscuit for any non-English people wondering if I have fallen off my rocker)...
So my tips would be as follows;
* It will ALWAYS help to have a second inventory window open - this whilst sorting your inventory proved to be a gift for me, it means you can move things around in your inventory without having to scroll up and down through the list of stuff you have stashed in there.
* I have folders within folders within folders. Take for example any of my folders - my underwear folder for instance - I have sub folders (i.e panties, socks, sets etc) and then each of these is further divided by style, and then by colour and there is also a separate folder for specific designer sets, meaning I can find things either by designer or style and in many cases colour too - this helps me a LOT!
* Some people make use of the outfit folder - for me personally I don't bother, most outfits I make are worn once for a few days and then buried deep in my wardrobe - but if you like to wear outfits and re-wear them later then this may be a useful tool for you!
* Don't be afraid to box things up - even if you cannot bring yourself to throw things away, putting things in boxes is a really easy way of "losing" items. For example, I used to work as a club hostess, I therefore had a HUGE amount of hosting type gestures that I used on a daily basis, when I quit working for the clubs I didn't want to throw away my hosting gestures as there may be a chance I go back to that one day so I boxed them up and labelled them well.
* I get anal about cleaning up things like LMs and Notecards - whenever I buy something I will always check to make sure I have the LM already stored away properly and then throw away any new LMs, unless of course I know that the place has moved. 
I know it's not a comprehensive list- or a how to - but I hope that this has given some insight into the ways in which I would get into the right mindset for inventory sorting. It's a lengthy process, it will mean you need to empty your trash can I'm sure, and you will probably find some hidden gems too... You never know... 
Just for people who are curious too I know I went a little overboard on editing of the first photo, so I include the unedited version too so that you can see what the props are in all their natural glory hehe... 

What is she wearing; 
Hair: Truth - Gattina in Blacks&Whites 01 Fades 
Skin: Sugar - Ink in Tone 3 Dark Brows 
Eyes: IKON - Horizon Eyes in Dark Verdigris 
Nails: SLink - Enhancement Fingernails for Default Hands, WORN WITH, KOSH - Glitter Nails
Sweater: CandyDoll - Delisha in Black 

Socks: Anymore - Skeleton Socks in Black 
Boots: J's - Studded Long Boots in Black 
Pose Prop: Curio Obscura - Friendly Tentacle 
Record Shelf: La Petite Fleur - Recordshelf (In-store Freebie!) 
Bag: SaT (Bag containing a purchase) 
Pig: D-LAB - 3Pigs in Pii 
Glasses: ellemeno - Dirty Glasses 
Ice Cream: Nomiki's Creations - Mint Choco-Chip Bunny Cone 
Bike: Hogs and Cart Wheels - ReBoned (Soon to be released!) 
Toucan Necklace: LaGyo - Tucano Necklace (Available now at The Dressing Room Fusion
Boot: Death Row Designs - Lazy Boots in Poison 
Doll: Digital DeZines - Zombiefest Voodoo Doll 
Shoe: SAKIDE - Hebi Pumps in Teal 
Eyes Necklace: MiWardrobe - I Watch You Necklace 
Tattoo Box: Half Deer - Suck Me Tattoos 
Troll Doll: Rawr Muffinz - Troll Doll in Green 
Balloon: Schadenfreude - Spiderflake Eyeball Balloon (tied)

1 comment:

  1. Hello there Inventory Goddess!!! I was so excited to see your post answering my plea...YAYAYAYAYAY!!! That said, I will take your suggestion and look up Harlow's Hints, but know your suggestions gave me courage, lol, which I have surely lacked, to even start the project...My twin sister, Rae or Rae Gunn, (yes, there is another just like me at home--Egads!!!) & oopsie...I may be signed in as she...lol...that happens a LOT since we often share the same laptop, is also thrilled and utterly delighted to get going on getting our inventories together, so we're going to have a sorting party as we have many of the same items, tho of course, in different colors or slightly different styles: we may be identical, but we don't wanna necessarily BE IDENTICAL IN ALL WAYS, lol, as we are fiercely independent, and thus, have separate sensibilities...tho we often agree on an overall fashion vibe or aesthetic, so I guess you could say we are more like besties rather than identical twins, lol, at least when it comes to clothing ourselves! Naturally, we loved your idea of opening up an...ur...um...Twin Inventory Window, lmao! and working from there! That really does hit us as a grand idea and since we wanna be able to access similar outfits for when we go places together inworld, then we wanna make sure to be able to find our twin fashion finds FAST!!! Yay!!! Okay, nuff of my nightclub act, we are excited and more importantly: CONFIDENT that we can do this!!! So thanks muchly for your shot of courage... Best--Rayne Boleyn & Shyne (Rae Gunn) Boleyn ps. Rae sends her thanks and wants you to know she's also a BIG FAN of your blog...yayayayayay team!!!

    ReplyDelete